I love to make things that are savory but have a bite of crisp, vibrant, freshness to it. This Apple Mint Guacamole recipe happens to fit that bill – a fusion of modern California cuisine with farm to table essences of summer mint and crisp sweet apples.
Ideas for serving
- Just have it by itself (had enough crunch and crisp to it to be a small meal or snack on its own)
- as a dip (with gluten free crackers)
- with tacos or burritos (adds brightness and freshness to foods)
- in a sandwich
- on top of ceviche
- on a vegetable pattie
- with quesadillas
- Avo Toast anyone?
Tips and Tricks
- Make sure to get a moderately ripe avocado so that the avocado has a little give when you begin to mash it with a fork
- Nice, sweet, crunchy apples really give this recipe a fresh vibrance. I like honeycrisp apples, and you can also use fuji, gala, or any of your favorites!
- If you can, try to buy organic apples, because apples in particular, are part of the “dirty dozen,” which means that they have been understood to readily absorb pesticides if they are sprayed on them.
Health Benefits By Ingredient
- Detoxifies Heavy Metals
- Good source of antioxidants
- Anti-inflammatory properties, reduces pain
- Anti-fungal properties
- Loads of vitamins, minerals, and phytonutrients helping to protect the heart
- contains plenty of healthy flavanoids and phytonutrients
- contains dietary fiber helping with gut health and digestion
- Contains pre-biotics and FOS in the apple skin
- contains fat soluable vitamins C, E, and K
- has heart healthy Omega 3 oils
- contains soluable fiber
- Low in carbs, and associated with weight loss
TBH, I could just eat this all on its own. It has enough texture to almost be a salad, and yet can still serve as a dip or a topper for other foods. So versatile! When I made this guacamole recipe, I simply pulled a few pieces of citrus pork I had in the fridge and made an a la carte “snack cart” of sorts. A NBD kinda snack/lunch.
Since there was so much cilantro, I ended up wrapping the cilantro around the pork like a mini burrito and it was super fun to snack eat! I feel confident in the fact that I’m getting all of the detox benefits of the cilantro so I can feel good about what I’m eating!:)
Did you make this recipe? Tag me on at @ingrid.shots on Instagram. Would love to see your creations!